Pages

Wednesday 3 August 2011

I Need A Holiday



Any excuse to mention Scouting for Girls... But anyway!

Tomorrow morning I'm going on a ten day holiday to Greece! I honestly can't wait another second, I went last year to the same place, and it was brilliant. The food was the best I've ever had - no, literally, the best food I've ever tasted in my life - the weather was great, the beaches were beautiful. Everything was awesome. This post is just a little note to inform you that, for the next ten days, I'll be going off the grid - I won't be posting here, and I won't be available via twitter. For anybody involved with or interested in Friday Night Who UK, my friend Mark will be in charge until I get back. Yes, Mark is in charge of something which involves timing and organisation. God help us all. To contact him, go to @Marcus_Joan on twitter, but don't expect a reply because he's never on there.

As for me, I'll be doing what I do best on holiday (and in general): nothing at all. Sunbathing, swimming, swallowing unhealthy amounts of Kefalonian meat pie, etc. I'll also be reading: I always pick up a couple of books to read on holiday, and they generally come in especially handy on the plane trips to and from. I've got Parasite, a novel I picked up at an absolutely fantastic second-hand bookshop in Wales, which was published in the ancient far-flung year of 1994; surprise surprise, it's a Doctor Who book, but one featuring McCoy's 7th Doctor. I've never read a classic Who novel before, so that should be fun. I've also got Paradox Lost, a Doctor Who novel (Again) from the modern day NSA range, featuring 11, Amy and Rory. And last but not least, I Am Number Four - a book that ISN'T about Doctor Who! - a science fiction novel that was recently adapted into a film. I haven't seen the film, but maybe I'll check it out if I like the novel. I'm also probably going to buy another book at the airport, because airports always have the coolest bookshops.

That does of course mean that I'll be very behind on book reviews by the time I get back; I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest recently, and just today I polished off Gaiman's Anansi Boys. So I'll have at least five, probably six books to look over by the time I get back to England! But who cares, I'm on holiday.

This is the part where I post an interesting short story I wrote to tide you over until I get back, or rather it would be if I had remembered to write an interesting short story to tide you over until I get back. Which I haven't. So, um, you'll just have to make do with a consolation prize.

Bye everybody!

(PS: Thanks to the Travelling the Vortex podcast for their extra-long episode 31, for giving me something to listen to on the journey there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment